Sunday, August 30, 2009

This week has been fun. It was my week off between classes. I'm moving to the 4th level...whoo! So instead of spending my week off here, I went to Hong Kong with my cousin Tiff. It was pretty fun. It started out fantastically! We got to the airport a bit early and when we were checking in, the guy at the desk asked us if we wanted to take an earlier flight out. I hesitated for just a moment, but then these magic words made the decision for me. He said, "we'll upgrade you to BUSINESS CLASS". I answered right away for the both of us...haha! I've never flown business before so I was a little too excited compared to all the other people sitting near me. I got a little snap happy with my camera too. It was only going to be an hour flight so I figured I'd just watch a bit of TV...but no....they served us food! And it was good food too, not your normal airplane food. I had shrimp pasta with red wine and then a cake with a fruit salad for desert. It was delicious! Well, that really was a nice beginning to the vacation. It was the only time I had wished the flight was a little bit longer.

We got to Hong Kong and had no troubles getting our bags and getting trough customs. It was just so nice and easy. We took the airport tram to a subway stop and then took a free shuttle to our hotel. Then we checked in and that was that. We still got in a bit late...so we just went on a coffee run and then just walked around and checked out what was nearby. The next day we took the Star Ferry from Hong Kong to Kowloon and got some dim sum and then went shopping. The shopping was better there than it is here, but it is more expensive. Regardless, it was fun. We then met up with my cousins friend from college. She took us out to this nice Cantonese restaurant. I had some abalone and a pumpkin soup. It was yummy. We had other stuff too...but those two things were the best.

The next day we did some touristy things. We went to "the Peak", the highest point in Hong Kong with a 360 view of the city. I took a bunch of pictures of course...but I'll just put one. They are all pretty much the same thing. Then that night I went to my Dad's favorite pub, Ned Kelly's Last Stand. When my Dad use to live in Taiwan, he'd often go to Hong Kong for Visa reasons. He would eat a bunch of Western Food and come to this pub. I have to admit, it was a lot of fun. There is a live band there every night that plays dixieland music. I think if you have a meat pie with a drink and add a little music, it equals a lot of fun. I think we were there for almost three hours! Thanks Dad for the heads up!

Overall, It was a really fun trip. We were there for 4 days and 3 nights...but counting all the traveling time...it was really like two and a half days. We got a lot in and had loads of fun. I'm glad I went!

No comments: